Monday, April 17, 2017

"We Should All Be Feminists" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie ****


  • Nigerian author
  • Essay
  • Originally published in 2014
  • Review:  Ms. Adichie, as always, writes clearly and well.  Given the current status of women in Nigerian culture specifically, and cultures at large, it would be interesting to know more about her personal path in life.  This essay on feminism does not necessarily reveal any new, earth shattering sociological information, yet I set it down feeling that this is an excellent primer for young people, boys and girls.  I will acknowledge that I had fallen into the habit of thinking of myself as a humanist, wanting equal rights for all.  However, using the author's cited definition: "a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes", I am a feminist.  Adichie notes that as long as significant inequalities persist, this term remains relevant.  Sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment