Thursday, August 17, 2017

"The Underground Railroad" By Colson Whitehead *****


  • National Book Award winner
  • US author 
  • Originally published in 2016
  • Review: This is the second novel by Colson Whitehead which I have read, and my original opinion stands.  He is a gifted writer.  In this instance, he creates a character, Cora,  who is so engaging that the reader can survive the horrors of her life.  The blend of historically enlightening details about the Underground Railroad are masterfully combined with a gripping plot.  I learned more about the nature and timing of the railroad journey and I felt tremendous humility in the face of the courage and determination of the slaves and the "stationmasters".  Tragic though it is that such powerful drives were requirements for the railroad to work, it is a piece of American history to feel proud of.  I wish it did not feel as if we might need it again in some form given the current political climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment